What do Business Improvement Districts do?

A Business Improvement District is an area within which property owners pay a fee to communally fund projects which benefit the district at large. The Springfield MA Business Improvement District utilizes a small mandatory fee for all property owners within the BID limits, and is also funded in-part by a city grant agreement. This money goes to funding programming and pays two full time staff members who oversee the mission and vision of the SBID. The general goal of BIDs is to drive development and programming within a given district through place making, marketing, and street-scape enhancements.

Some programs the Springfield BID is currently committed to are: the Clean team, to manage downtown beautification, the Dining District, to convene restaurateurs and business people to drive development in Springfield MA, and rebranding Springfield as a better place to live, work, and play.

The Springfield BID also supports community events through sponsorships and partnership with like-minded organizations.

How can I get updates via email from the Springfield BID about Downtown Springfield happenings?

Sign up for our newsletter here.

How can I have my event listed in the Downtown Events calendar or the Weekly EBlast?

Submit your event through the calendar request link, and we will try our very best to list it. Please keep in mind that we are focused on supporting not-for-profit community events within Downtown Springfield MA and may not accept requests outside of this mission.

The weekly eblast is a tool used to reach our entire network. Not all events can be listed in this, as our readers appreciate its brevity. We try each week to take a fair sampling of events within the Downtown and include them in the eblast, but not all calendar listings will be featured.

How can I volunteer with the Springfield BID / help the City?

You can volunteer to be an ambassador to Springfield by volunteering with the Springfield Business Improvement District. Submit a message through the Contact Us form. Please let us know you are interested in volunteering.

How can I recommend an idea to the Springfield Business Improvement District?

Use the “contact us” form to get in touch with the SBID office! We love to get feedback from the community at large, as well as the building and business owners in downtown. Our goal is to make Springfield MA a better place to live, work, and play, and we want everyone to be a part of this.

Where should I park in Downtown?

Springfield Parking Authority

Propark America – Please do not park at Propark lot unless an attendant is present, otherwise your vehicle may be towed.

Tower Square

Monarch Place

Meter parking – Parking meters are operated in the parking meter zones established every day between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., unless otherwise specified by the City Council and indicated on such meters. Such parking meters shall not be operated on Sundays or during the hours of legal holidays during which certain retail stores are required by law to remain closed.

Where do I pay my water bill?

You can pay online at unipaygold.unibank.com, or by mail to Springfield MA Water and Sewer Commission, PO Box 3688, Springfield, MA 01101.

If you have questions regarding disputing your water bill, beginning a payment plan, or shut-off of water, please click here.

Where do I get a business certificate?

You can obtain a business certificate by visiting the City Clerk’s Office at Springfield MA City Hall, located on the first floor.

What type of permits do I need if I am opening a new business?

The Springfield Office of Planning and Economic Development provides a central area to obtaining permitting for your new business online. This guide contains a list of all permits businesses will need along with a matrix of contacts and prices that are attached to each permit.

Development guides for appearing before the Planning Board, Conservation Commission, Historic Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, and Building and Inspection Services can be found by clicking here. These are the main permits that a new business will have to obtain.

How do I look up my property information (assessed value, property owner, square footage, zoning, trash day, etc…)

This information can be obtained by locating the property’s address within Springfield City GIS.

Where can I find information on road closures or traffic alerts?

All road closures and traffic alerts are posted on the Department of Public Works website page at and on their Facebook.

Where do I pay my trash fee/ when is my trash fee due/ how much is my trash fee?

A list of FAQs on Springfield MA City trash fees can be found here. If your question is not answered on this page, call the Department of Public Works at 413.736.3111.

Where can I get a copy of my marriage or birth certificate?

You can visit the City Clerk’s office on the first floor of Springfield MA City Hall or submit a completed application form by clicking here and sending by US Mail to the City Clerk’s office.

How do I get a new trash can?

If you are within the SBID please contact us here.

Outside the SBID fill out the “all-in-one” trash service form by clicking here or call 311 from a cell phone or 413.736.3111 from a land line.

Where can I pay taxes, fees, and tickets online?

Links to pay Real Estate Property Taxes, Automobile Excise taxes, Trash Fees, Personal Property taxes, Springfield Police Department Ordinance Tickets, and Parking Tickets can all be found by clicking here.

How can I report a pothole, damaged sidewalk, or overflowing storm sewer?

Call the City 311 line to report the location of the area of concern from a cell phone or call 413.736.3111 from a land line.

How do I attend a Zoning Board of Appeals / Community Police / Planning Board / Historic Commission etc… meeting at City Hall?

A calendar of city meetings can be found here.

Where can I look up Zoning Ordinances?

A list of zoning ordinances can be found on the City of Springfield website.